“Takashima Castle was constructed by Takayoshi Hineno, one of Hideyoshi Toyotomi’s Samurai warriors, in 1590. Construction was begun in 1592 and completed in 1598. The castle was called “the Floating Castle of Lake Suwa” bucause it appeared as if is rose out of the water. At that time the lake waters reached as far as the castle, and it was surrounded on its other sides by several rivers which served as moats. It was torn down and opened to public as a park in 1876. In 1970, it was reconstructed with the donations of residents who felt nostalgia for the landmark.